Thursday, August 28, 2008

Man Builds Huge Railroad On His Front Lawn!!

Photobucket


Eric Marshall, pictured above has transformed his front garden into a miniature railway.

Fully operational, Mr Marshall's garden train set incorporates two signals, four separate tracks, bridges, a cable car, a windmill and ten water features.

Now he just has to get used to the hundreds of tourists flocking to his front door to see his collection in motion.

"I've always had an interest in railways," Mr Marshall said. "I was born within 50 yards of the main London-North East railway. As a kid I used to go trainspotting."

"A few years ago I went to a railway exhibition and saw the model trains running around and I thought that would look nice in my garden, he said. I started building the railway three years ago and I make everything myself. I started with one track and now I have four. I make all the houses and stations from plywood and the tiles on the top are made from cedar wood. All the tiles are stuck on individually, so everything is more or less weather proof. I use anything I can find around the house, like floor tiles - I never throw anything away".

Mr Marshall's attention to detail is second to none, with railway workers and villagers taking pride of place in his creation. The garden railway has become so popular that tourists now stop off to watch his impressive display.

Mr Marshall, who used to work in the printing industry, accepts donations from visitors and has raised over £500 for Macmillan Cancer Support this year alone.

No comments: